5/24/2006

Rice dumplings vs Hallacas

Two days ago, I ate a local dish called Rice Dumpling in english or Tsung Tzu in chinese.
It tastes very good. This dish is traditional during the Dragon Boat festival.
Here is a picture I found on the internet :



But what was funny is that it was like if I had already tasted it, because it tasted just like a typical dish from Venezuela called Hallaca.
Down here a picture (also from internet):



So it came to my mind that the origin of the Hallaca is maybe from mainland China.
I make a research and the Hallaca seems to come from Mexico, from a traditional dish called Tamal, wich was typic from the Aztec civilisation. So maybe there is a link between the Tamal and rice dumpling. Who knows maybe they bring it over the Bering straight thaousand of years ago.
I don't have any rational explanation, but anyway you can see by yourselves that the two dishes look just the same.
The only difference is the leaf, the Hallaca uses the banana leaf ans is based on corn mixture while the rice dumplig uses the bamboo leaf and the mixture is based on rice.

1 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Blogger penguininthesun said...

those are yummy. My grandma who is Filipina used to make those. Guess it's in more than one culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home